- We believe that education is a building block for a good quality of life, that we all win when a child succeeds in school, and that our country's success tomorrow depends on how well we educate our children today.
- We believe that every child deserves great schools and great teachers, but they alone are not enough.
- We believe it also takes strong families, a stable home life and good health.
- We believe that high school dropouts are years in the making and that early intervention is the key to success. Our vision is that every child will enter school ready to learn, read proficiently by 4th grade, make a successful transition to middle school, and graduate from high school on time.
- We believe in the power of parents, teachers, students, companies, elected officials and members of the community, working together for the common good.ieve in making choices based on what the research says.
- We believe the time to stand up and LIVE UNITED for Education is now—for our kids, our community, and our country.
Education Research Overview
The Education Research Overview (PDF) gives communities and United Way partners a more detailed picture of the research grounding United Way’s cradle-to-career education continuum. It’s organized around United Way’s five education focus areas, dedicating one section to each. Each section frames the case for action (rooted in the latest research), offers strategies that experts suggest work, and gives examples of promising practices underway and innovative ideas from United Ways.
How You Can Help
To reach our goal, we need your help. The strategies proven to work are those that connect communities to their schools: parent involvement; literacy volunteers in the classroom; mentors for disadvantaged students; business leaders engaged in early childhood advocacy. Volunteer to help.